Sunday, July 29, 2007

Diguena Voy Bogardé - Radiotone d'abdul·là (2001)

The third upload from a cd belonging to housemate Jorge. He's a big music head like me - but he's 52 and still pretty wide eyed at this Internet sharing kick I'm into. I've been getting him tonnes of Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Ismael Lo and Wim Mertens from Emule...
Which will be sitting in the hard drive til he gets some bloody blank cds. Bah. Anyway.

He's got plenty of obscure music so I hit on the idea if doing a few uploads for y'all, though to be honest my excitement has waned a bit as it's going to mean I'm going to start posting stuff I'm not really feeling that much.

Like this for instance, Diguena Voy Bogardé - Radiotone d'abdul·là (2001).

This is very Spanish.
It features some pretty graceless rock drum bass and guitar (for my ears), but it is redeemed by (convincing) infusions of folksiness - flamenco clapping, a flamenco-ish singer, some hand hit drums floating about in the mix, slightly unconventional song structures. Arabic / klezmer feel at times. Its a bit of a tabboo subject but I reckon 99% of Spanish people (at least round here) have Arabic blood which is why flamenco singing sounds so much like Arabic singing.

I live in Spain, as you may know, and blasting this off the balcony this afternoon - rather than, say, Albert Ayler - I felt at one with the surroundings. I don't think I'd really enjoy it very much at all if I was back in London or living in Vancouver like the recent commenter. It deserves a wider audience but be warned... It doesn't carry the full Wooodenelephant seal of approval.

http://www.divshare.com/download/1394856-5e5

Now a few words on the image. Its Tejas by Julian Calatrava (no relation to the famous Valencian architect).
At one of the companies I give English classes at, they hold exhibitions of new artists on the wall spaces. Watch out for Julian who has developed an arresting, graffiti-style stickman and tower block motif which he uses to portray everyday city and working life. I managed to bag a free pocket calendar of this series but there's precious little of his work to be found on 'Net.
But I may scan the calendar and put it up here. Watch this space.

No comments: