Wednesday, November 22, 2006

RIP Robert Altman

There's always bandwagon-jumping but Altman is, now was, my favourite director. His death is hugely sad news. He was always worth watching.
Few if any directors have such respect for their actors. In the way he could get an ensemble to breathe life into a scenario he was without equal.
This is the day many cinema lovers were hoping would not come for a long long time yet.

So many great films but McCabe & Mrs Miller is without doubt one of my fave films of all time. There's many I haven't seen but The Long Goodbye, MASH, Nasville, California Split and Thieves Like Us are all superb.

I thought The Company was underrated. At times, you had that same 'window into another world' feeling you get with his 70's classics. The scene with the performance in the rain was a beautiful cinematic moment. It was also a great role for Malcom McDowell.

The Gingerbread Man was also well above Hollywood average. The storm scenes at the end I thought were beautifully realised. (maybe the weather in late Altman is a film student thesis waiting to be written)

The Player and Short Cuts are absolutely great films but a little slick and cynical for me, to be honest. I'm glad he got back to his 70s form with the excellent Gosford Park before he went.


Respect, Bob! R.I.P.

No comments: